Monday, August 31, 2015

UNCLEAR HEAD FOR 2016 ELECTIONS

 photo images_zpsneyztlmd.jpg

photo credits to arawaraw.com



By: Dalisay Diaz

          Election 2016 is coming and majority of the hopefuls for the positions available is swarming the Filipino television sets with their paid advertisements as early as this month. Little by little, some of them are making their presence known to the public. But what are their true intentions in running? Admittedly, this article is about my doubt about the candidates who would be gunning for public office as high as President of our country. Simply put, I am merely expressing my thoughts. I have very little knowledge of these politicians and I am not being judgmental, I just want to write what I thought is doubtful about these candidates. As of now, I don’t have a clear idea who I’m going to vote for. I hope these reasons might help you understand my doubts:


Vice President Jojo Binay – I am not from Makati but from what I have seen of it, I’d say I would like to live there. Technically, it is a beautiful city. I worked there, hanged-out, walked its streets and made friends with its residents. But, the big city might not be able to help VP Binay from the serious allegations about him and his family. I have been a fan of his family because of what they did to Makati but all of these things should not be left unanswered for most Filipinos even though none of the allegations made transformed into a case.


Senator Grace Poe – I admire her simplicity and wit. Most of Filipinos who admired her late father voted for her too. She’s always so calm and I know that she takes her job seriously. But, these past few days has thrown her into a myriad of controversy. The equally controversial protest of Iglesia ni Cristo members had become a platform for some politicians including Senator Poe by expressing their thoughts about the issue. Some did not like it because it seemed that she was after the block vote INC has known for. Well, my only concern is how long will she be using her father’s image to her political career? She’s been doing great so why not stand on her own. And please, answer this issue.


Secretary Mar Roxas – I watched his wedding with Korina Sanchez and I loved it. He’s also a very active cabinet member of the Aquino administration. I also read some of the accusations thrown at him in the midst of the SAF 44 controversy. I don’t have any idea about his involvement regarding the issue but if it is not answered yet, he should for the benefit of his candidacy. But what I really like to know about is his stand for the members of LGBTQ. Apparently, some month ago, according to an article, supporters of Secretary Roxas organized an event dubbed as the First National Gay Congress or so. I’m gay, but I never heard of it. Is he one of the TraPo who would use us members of LGBTQ to reach his political ambitions? What about us after he succeeded in doing so? Well, just asking.


Mayor Rodrigo Duterte – I haven’t been in Davao but a close friend of mine said that it is a very picturesque place. The people are disciplined and it is really peaceful. So when I heard of Mayor Duterte and the news of him running for president, I have only one thing on my mind; who is he? Admittedly, I didn’t know him at all. Then I heard and saw his statements of what he would do if he is President, I immediately remember how my grandma experienced Martial Law. Seriously, we don’t need that now. But most Filipino seems to like Mayor Duterte. I have friends who said they will vote for him. Again, I don’t know him, and I can tell that he has political will that we badly needed for a leader but I don’t like his would be methods. I know he is a good man and a lot of people admire him and his guts but I just don't feel safe with him. I hope to get to know him more though. Sorry, it’s just me and it’s not personal.


          I really (do) hope that I get past these feelings of doubt that I am having right now. Last Presidential Election, I have a clear mind of who I’m going to vote (Gibo Teodoro), though he did not win, I didn’t feel that my vote was for nothing. If ever he runs for public office again, I will support him.


          This post was never made to give or feed doubts to anyone’s mind. The Filipino voter is intelligent. They will vote according to their conscience and ideals. Some may be inclined to sell their votes but it is us the majority who will rule and choose the next leader of our country. I just hope I straighten my head before I cast my vote.



    

7 comments:

  1. Bago pa naging mayor ng Makti si Binay ay kilala na ang Makati dahil sa mga Ayala. Escolta sa Binondo ang sosyal na lugar noon bago pinasikat ng mga Ayala ang Makati sa magaganda at pinakasikat na establishment kaya naglaho ang kasikatan ng Escolta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I mean, I used to consider Grace Poe as my second choice in case Duterte won't run. But there are two things which turned me off on her: Her stand on the INC-Delima issue, and when she compared herself with Jesse Robredo. She doesn't seem to be different from the traditional politicians who will move heaven and earth just to get votes, even compromising their own integrity...

      Delete
    2. We share sentiments about her, Mike. Thanks for gracing this blog. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice blog miss D.. my vote is for mayor DU30. ;)

    ReplyDelete